When log homes and houses with wood siding are not properly maintained and sealed, mold can take hold in the presence of moisture and pose a health risk to you and your family, while potentially damaging the timber.
If you desire the rustic charms of a log home, but worry about the costly, time-consuming maintenance, give TruLog™ a call at 970-646-4490 to learn more or request a sample. TruLog is an innovative steel siding system that mimics the look of hand-hewn wood but provides superior protection against moisture and the elements.
Hand in Hand: Moisture and Mold
Molds are fungi that occur naturally both outdoors and inside. Mold breaks down dead organic matter, like fallen leaves and trees, and it reproduces via tiny spores that begin growing when they land on wet surfaces.
As the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors (InterNACHI) discusses on its log homes page, trees absorb significant quantities of water as they grow, and tree cells are also able to absorb water after the wood has been dried and cut for log homes or wood siding. Without proper sealing, the timber can promote wood rot and pest infestation.
For log homes, InterNACHI recommends using only timber that has been waterproofed and treated with insecticide. The organization further recommends that similar treatments be applied at least once every few years for the life of the home.
So-called “black mold” is widely reported among owners of log homes and houses with wood siding. As its name implies, black mold discolors the wood as it grows; it, and other molds, can also cause adverse reactions in humans and pets if they find damp places to grow indoors.
The Risks of Mold in the Home
Inhaling or otherwise coming in physical contact with mold or mold spores can irritate the eyes, nose, throat, lungs and skin. Mold can lead to hayfever-like symptoms including sneezing, runny nose and headaches; it can cause rashes; and it can trigger asthma attacks.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) mold guide, mold can cause severe allergic reactions in some individuals. Some molds also produce the toxic substances known as mycotoxins, which can contribute to chronic health problems in people and pets with mold sensitivities.
For more information about the multi-patented, moisture-resistant TruLog system, please contact TruLog online or call us at 970-646-4490 to talk with one of our siding experts. TruLog is based in Loveland, Colorado, but we ship nationwide and work with installers in states including Colorado, Wyoming, Texas, Missouri and Pennsylvania.